Sunday, December 1, 2013

So What Does a Wine Nerd Drink?

Hey All, It's your boy B!

It's been a long time between blog post / drinks. In this time I have been really exploring my inner wine nerd. Yes that's right I'll admit it, I'm a full on wine nerd and proud! lately I've been drinking some of the wines that I LOVE to drink. These wines aren't particularly easy to talk about, hence the activity of the blog dropping off. 

My Work Jacket, Wine Nerd and Proud


One of the most common questions people ask me when they find out I'm into wine is "what's your favorite wine?". Well that's not a particularly easy question to answer. It's like being asked "Which one of your children is your favorite?". I don't have one particular favorite wine, but I'm going to share some of the wines with you that I enjoy the most.






"We all know, All Roads Lead To Burgundy!"

That's a direct quote from a winemaker, when discussing favorite wines and region. It's true though the more you find yourself getting into wine, the more fascinating Burgundy becomes as a region. Now I can already hear everyone going WTF is Burgundy!?!? Burgundy is a Appellation (region) in Eastern France, like the Barossa or Margaret River.

Burgundy is known for two things Pinot Noir (Red Burgundy) and Chardonnay (White Burgundy). It's also home to some of the worlds most expensive wines. A bottle of Domaine de la Romanée-Conti (AKA DRC), La Tache is going to run you around $4,500! But boy is it BLOODY good though!

The first of my many favorites



2011, Leflaive, Macon-Verze
Domaine Laflaive, Macon-Verze. This is my go to white Burgundy and a great place to start. You can pick this star up for a humble $40ish. This is highly regarded as the best Quality to Price Ratio (QPR) Burgundy on the market. I've taken notes on this wine twice for the 2011 vintage, completely forgetting about taking the first set of notes. This is what I had to say.

Pale yellow straw in color. Citrus zest and some minerals with great acid structure through the middle. Quite a simple wine and a little young but great value for money. 89pts

This is probably one of the best value white burgundy's going. Pale straw color, lemon rind bit of lime zestiness and some minerality coming through. It is a simple wine but just great for the money. Only thing wrong with this is, it's still a little young. 89pts

An outsider looking in



Timo Mayer "The Doktor" Riesling 2010

I LOVE German Riesling! No wait that didn't come off right, lets try that again. I LOVE German Riesling, not sure how I can portray how much I love it in text..... In fact I beg you to try a German Riesling before the years out. This one is from wine maker Timo Mayer out of the Yarra Vally in Victoria. Timo has sourced the fruit from Remstal, near Stuttgart in the southern Germany. Again you can pick this up for around the $40 mark. This is a dry style Riesling and perfect for the upcoming summer.

These are my notes.

This is a "Big Riesling", great acid structure. I get lemon curd, lime cordial and hints of granny smith green apples on the palate. Good structure and mouth feel with a long finish. 92pts

 See it all leads back to Burgundy



2007 Domaine Henri Gouges, Nuits St. Georges,
1er Cru Clos des Porrets St. Georges
This is where I always end up and where most of my money ends up too I must confess. One of my favorite Sub Appellation's is Nutis St George in Northern Burgundy. This is also one of my favorite producers, Domaine Henri Gouges. 

This wine is 2007 Domaine Henri Gouges, Nuits St. Georges, 1er Cru Clos des Porrets - St. Georges. This one is going to set you back about $125ish.

Okay I'm going to break this down for you because that will confuse the best of us. First "Domaine Henri Gouges" is simply the producer. Next "Nuits St. Georges" this is the sub region of burgundy of which the wine comes from. Lastly "1er Cru, Clos des Porrets - St. Georges". The "1er Cru" designates its a "Premier Cru" wine which is a vineyard quality classification system. The "Clos des Porrets - St. Georges" tells you what Premier Cru Vineyard the wine comes from. I'll cover and explain the Appellation and Cru systems in more depth in a upcoming blog post.

Enough with that jargon B, So what does it taste like? I hear you say, these are my notes.

In the glass the color is more Maroon and lightens towards the edge. This was quite aromatic and the nose had a "old word" and barn yard about it, quite floral I got rose, cherry and a little bit of oak behind it. Medium weight on the palate, tart cherry with quite a big but smooth acid structure straight through the middle. It wasn't overly long but the length was acceptable. This Pinot is drinking super well at the moment and I'm totally digging Henri's vibe and style. 92pts
  
Well that covers a few of my favorites and you get a little idea on what us wine nerds drink.

For Now Ciao,

B



No comments:

Post a Comment