Monday, April 1, 2013

Grüner Veltliner Show Down







                       VS




Does Australia have what it takes to produce an Austrian classic?

A couple of years ago I was looking for a bottle of white, feeling pretty open minded and bored of the usual's I stumbled across something I couldn't even pronounce at the time! This was a bottle of Grüner Veltliner, and a start to a whole new wine journey for me.

Grüner Veltliner (It's pronounced Grooner) is a white wine grape verity best known for growing in Austria. In 2006 it first made its way to Australia with the Hahndorf Hill Winery bringing in the vines. 2009 saw the first bottle produced in Australia by Lark Hill in Canberra.

I have come to fall in love with Grüner's over the years they suit our drinking climate very well, as they have light acid tones and a nice little hint of white pepper on the back palate. It's that wine you want to be drinking with a nice Antipasto dish sitting out the back with friends, or it's just as well suited to the Roast Chicken your mum cooks on a Sunday night!

Last vintage saw 3 producers in Australia make a Grüner Veltliner, and this 2013 vintage is set to shoot up to around 10 or so. This is defiantly a variety starting to take off in Australia. 

Today I'm going to mix things up a bit and bring you a side by side tasting of three Grüner Veltliner's. Two of them from Australia and one from Austria. So without further adieu I would like to introduce the 2012 Hahndorf Hill Grüner Veltliner, The 2011 K1 by Geoff Hardy Grüner Veltliner and finally all the way from Austria the 2009 Fred Loimer Grüner Veltliner.

Hahndorf Hill, K1 and Loimer Grüner Veltliner's

The side by side tasting is going to be done via video and I'm not going to lie I was a little nervous but I think it came out alright for my first one, check it out below.


Click This Link To View Video

There's always 1,000,001 things I'd like to say but, didnt get a chance too. If you have any thoughts or questions feel free to send them in.

So for now as always Ciao,

B

4 comments:

  1. Why are you spitting it out dude?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just to try and stay objective, the potential was their to taste a few times quite quickly and I didn't want to be affected by the alcohol.

      Delete
  2. Hey! really a big fan of the Hahndorf hill gruner. Great blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvia! I really enjoyed it as well, it was a tough call between the two. I think in a few vintages time we are just going to be knocking it out of the park. Mac Forbes an Australian wine maker is making Grüner in Austria and its worth seeking out.

      B

      Delete